A panel of industry experts, all experienced performers, teachers, directors or choreographers will view the submissions and produce a shortlist of acts which will be invited to perform at Circomedia in Bristol on 16th November 2019. A second panel will choose the winner on the evening.
The showcase is a public event and the audience will include invited guests from the circus industry: agents, festival programmers, directors, funders and producers. It will be a unique opportunity for performers to be seen by the people who can help develop their career.
The winner will be announced on the night and will receive a cheque for £750 plus £50 expenses. All other finalists will receive £50 expenses (per act).
The Award is open to applicants who have completed professional circus training, within the past five years (July 2014 – June 2019). Professional training could include: further education, higher education, apprenticeships or on-the-job training.
TIMELINE 2019Saturday 1st June – Submission opens
- Friday 23rd August – Submission closes at 23.59 BST
- 24th August – 21st September – Shortlisting
- 28th September- Notifications and invitations sent to shortlisted finalists
- 7th October – announcement of the shortlisted finalists
- 15th November – Rehearsals and Tech run (shortlisted finalists required to attend)
- 16th November – The Richard Award #2 Live Final at Circomedia, Portland Square, Bristol.
The overall winner will be decided and announced at the end of the evening.
All shortlisted finalists will receive:
- an opportunity to showcase work to producers, programmers and festival bookers
- written feedback from the professional judges
- inclusion in the Richard Award pre- and post-event publicity (media, press, social media)
- one professional, un-branded photograph
- edited, professional quality, film footage of their act by Media Students of UWE
- £50 travel expenses (per act)
- post award development coaching/mentoring with an experienced professional (2 hour session)
The winner of the Award will also receive:
- a cash prize of £750
- their name included on The Richard Award Trophy (housed at Circomedia)
After the final, film material from the showcase will be posted on this web site and used as promotional material for future Awards.